BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
Filter Blogs By
How to Talk to Your Doctor About Erectile Dysfunction
More than 25% of all men suffer from erectile dysfunction. It is a serious condition and despite its prevalence, many men still shy away from talking about it; even with their doctors.
Erectile dysfunction could arise due to a wide variety of reasons. However, over 75% of erectile dysfunction cases have a physical cause so it is crucial to see a doctor, such as Dr. Jon Lazare when you cannot get or sustain an erection regularly.
There are three main reasons why you should talk to your doctor about erectile dysfunction. The first reason is that it can be treated with various treatments including injections and surgical implants. The other reason is that it can be linked to more serious health conditions such as diabetes or high blood pressure.
The following are tips as to how to talk to your doctor about erectile dysfunction:
- The best way to talk to your doctor about erectile dysfunction is to be ready to do it. If you have to, you can practice asking your doctor the questions in the mirror to gain some confidence.
- It would also be of major help if you had a list of questions prepared to ask the doctor about your condition. You should compile these questions beforehand but do not make too many.
- Preparation also means having your medical history ready if the doctor does not have it. Listing your medication and any pertinent personal information should also help.
- Do not be afraid to ask your doctor about your symptoms. When compared to the benefits, they far outweigh the cost of keeping it to yourself.
- Be straightforward with the doctor and clearly describe your symptoms if you want to receive an accurate diagnosis of your condition. You should also be forthcoming about anything associated with erectile dysfunction.
- A doctor has probably heard of conditions worse than yours so you can never go wrong with a little courage at the doctor’s office.
- If you want to talk to your doctor about erectile dysfunction, honesty is the best policy. You should be as honest as possible with your doctor so that he or she can have the best chance of getting at the root issue of your condition.
- As stated earlier, the majority of erectile dysfunction cases have a physical cause. Mental causes are also a significant cause of erectile dysfunction.
- Be honest with your doctor about your lifestyle and habits no matter how dark you may think they are. Respond honestly when the doctor asks you a question and it should make it easier to talk about your condition.
Explore Treatment Options
- Even for erectile dysfunction, the first step is to treat any underlying medical conditions that may be causing the problem. Therefore, to make it easier to talk to your doctor about erectile dysfunction, you should be open to discussing treatment options.
- The more open you are about talking to your doctor about treatment, the more freedom they will have in taking steps to remedy the condition. The contrary is also true.
- Ask the doctors at Lazare Urology about the treatment that is most suitable for you and follow their recommendations.